Cayman Thanksgiving Recipe – Cayman Style Lobster
Courtesy of Mrs. Vivene Watler
4 8oz lobster tails, uncooked and rinsed.
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 lb bacon
1/2 cup olive oil or butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp season salt
1 small diced and seeded scotch bonnet pepper
1. In a large pot bring rinsed lobster tails to a boil for 20 minutes until lobsters turn red, remove from heat.
2. Remove lobster meat from shells and cut into 1 inch pieces. Sprinkle with lime juice and set aside.
3. In frying pan, cook bacon until almost crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels and chop into small pieces.
4. Drain all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat from pan and add butter or olive oil and heat over medium high heat.
5. Add onion, celery, garlic, green pepper and scotch bonnet and sauté until soft,
6. Add lobster meat, stirring to mix well with vegetables.
7. Cook for 2 minutes, then add tomatoes, tomato paste, black pepper and salt and stir well.
8. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes longer.