The scintillating and pulsating music of the steel pan has always played a significant role in the Miami Broward Carnival narrative. This year the Miami Broward One Carnival Host Committee Inc. will present their Panorama Steel Band competition on Friday, Oct. 10 at Central Broward Regional Park from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Silver Stars USA Steel Orchestra is the reigning 2013 Band of the Year. This year, the list of bands competing for the title of Miami Broward Carnival Steel Band Of The Year includes: Silvers Stars USA Steel Orchestra, Pantastics Steel Band, Lauderhill Steel, Resurrection Sound, Karibbean Knights Steel Orchestra and Steel Away Steel Drum Ensemble.
Panorama is a favorite of many pan-lovers who will enjoy the melodic, rhythmic and soothing sounds of a music art form that is the heartbeat of the Carnival culture. The National Instrument of Trinidad & Tobago is the Steel Drum and is the only new instrument invented in the 20th Century.
Although a part of Carnival for many years, the first Panorama was not held in T&T until 1963. In Miami the steel bands were always a part of Carnival and bands traveled from Orlando, and even from New York, to participate in Carnival. The host committee is committed to preserving this rich Caribbean tradition within the blueprint of #MiamiBrowardCarnival.
“Pan is to carnival like water is to fish; it’s a survival thing. As they say, it’s the last created musical instrument that brings pride and joy to a nation. Its like reggae to Jamaica, classical music to Europeans; it is deeply rooted in our culture and the world is better for it,” said Sydney Roberts, vice chair for Miami Broward Carnival.
The Miami Broward Carnival is made possible with the support of Miami-Dade County Department of Cultural Affairs and the Cultural Affairs Council, the Miami-Dade County Mayor and Board of County Commissioners.
Miami Broward Carnival Signature Events for 2014:
- Friday, Sept. 5 – J’Ouvert Launch – The Warehouse 3500 NW 15th St., Lauderhill, Fla, 33311. Time: 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. Admission: $20
- Sunday, Oct. 5 – Jr. Carnival Parade of Bands – Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium. Time: 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. (parade starts at 2 p.m.) Admission: $10, $1.50 park fee
- Friday, Oct. 10 – Panorama Competition/Kings, Queens, Individuals – Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium. Time: 4 p.m. to 11 p.m. Admission: $10, $1.50 Park Fee
- Saturday, Oct. 11 – Official J’Ouvert – Central Broward Regional Park & Stadium. Time: 7 a.m. – 2 p.m. Admission: $15.00 pre-sold
- Sunday, Oct. 12, 2014 – Miami Broward Parade of Bands and Concert – 30 Years of Miami Carnival Celebration – Miami-Dade County Fairgrounds – 10901 Coral Way, Miami, Fla. 33165. Time: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Admission: $25 pre-sold online; $27 at The Check Cashing Stores and select Caribbean-American retail outlets.